Tuesday, October 7, 2008

1950s Housewife - Day Nine

My Mom said the patio charcoal grill became hugely popular in the late 1950s, and so Dear Husband will be grilling chicken tonight. Don't worry, I'm doing EVERYTHING else, he literally has to get the grill going, slap the chicken on, turn it once, and bring it inside - that is all. I am very excited about him "sharing" the duties tonight.

I made a great Pot Roast yesterday - even the boy (who can find something each meal to complain about) loved it, although not the carrots. The girl (who is vegetarian) also enjoyed the potatoes and carrots over rice with her soy chicken. I was very excited - it was my first pot roast and it came out exactly as I wanted.

It is these small victories I'm enjoying during this experiment - like rediscovering the iron and spray starch and finding a certain zen in sweeping the kitchen floor. The hum of the laundry and the look of sparkling kitchen counter tops. The welcoming look of a taught, just made up bed. Being able to locate the television remote, with just a glance from across the house because it is where it should be... Uh-oh... I think it is happening - I'm becoming a neatnik zombie!

This, I'm sure, will be welcome news to my Dear Husband. We will see how life progresses next week, when I'm no longer living in the 1950s.

- Mrs. P

No comments: