Friday, October 3, 2008

1950s Housewife - Day Five

Yesterday was a quiet day - I had a meeting with my magazine staff, and I got all gussied up for it. We did our chore very quickly and I headed back home. Really just grocery was the key job for yesterday, so it wasn't nearly as busy of any of the previous days.

And the truth is, I'm getting bored. I think that the family has fallen into acceptance of this experiment and the way I'm "serving" everyone, and this has lulled us all into this dull hum of the way things are going. I realize the novelty of my strange behavior has worn off, but I'm also not willing to allow this to become the norm.

I have realized that I have more time in the day than I thought - which is a great outcome of this experience. And also on the plus side: the kids are required to help out around the house more, and they are doing it willingly! So I hope that doesn't go away... BUT...

But what I'm finding is that I feel I'm becoming a fixture in the house. By which I mean that while I'm cleaning and cooking and serving, conversations are happening around me but are not including me - nor would I dare contribute, as would not be polite in the 1950s unless asked to contribute, and even then, only to reiterate Dear Husband's opinion.

So being shut-off into myself, I'm becoming bored... and so today, I've been stalling on getting started on the daily chores. I think, since it is Friday, that I will share a cocktail with Dear Husband tonight. I sure do feel I've earned it.

The other strange observation I have at this point is this: I spend time on beautification of myself, and smelling nice - all for Dear Husband... and after a day of hard work and house chores, thinking of nothing but ensuring my family has it easy when they arrive home from their daily routines, and cooking over a hot stove, I then liquor Dear Husband up... and he smells me, and sees how nice I look... and he has no chores to do - so naturally, he decides he'd like to cuddle and maybe do more... but honestly - I'm exhausted. I don't see the point of being appealing to Dear Husband at the end of the day - it is not logical to me. I would much rather repel him at this point - not that I don't have passion for Dear Husband, I do, but I need him to want me when I'm well-rested.

It's almost the same as the stay-at-home mom's thoughts here, when there is a new baby in the house and Dear Husband wants to get back to "normal".

Anyway... my poor Dear Husband... he says he is feeling useless, and wants me to write up a "Honey-Do" list for the weekend, which I certainly plan to focus on today. And he forbade me from making the traditional Sunday football game pizza - as his territory, so I've shopped for the essentials, and he will be allowed in my kitchen for the first time all week on Sunday morning.

I will share the Honey-Do list and more magazine goodies on Monday - I'm planning to take a break from this future box for the weekend.

More Later - Mrs. P

1 comment:

Working Stay-At-Home Mom said...

God, I miss you.
please move to Missouri and be my nieghbor.