Monday, September 8, 2008

Yin Yang

JON: How do you do that?
ME: What?
JON: Make the boy stop crying after an Ouchie? I've been trying to comfort him and his two smased fingers for five minutes, then you come along, give him one hug, and make it all better! How do you do that?!
ME: I dunno.

ME: How do you do that?
JON: What?
ME: Get the boy to respond to your commands and say "Yes, Sir!" as he moves to go do what you asked? I've asked him 17 times to take those toys upstairs and wash his hands, then you come along, tell him to do what I asked, and he jumps up and does it! How do you do that?!
JON: I dunno.

JON: How do you do that?
ME: What?
JON: Make the kids and me laugh with just a look, a sound or one word? I goof around and do silly voices and funny walks all day and just get a chuckle, then you walk through the room, raise one eyebrow, and throw the kids into a laughing fit that eventually leads to tears and a bathroom break! How do you do that?!
ME: I'm funny.

ME: How do you do that?
JON: What?
ME: Keep all those facts in your brain and then explain them to me and the kids in an interesting way? I was trying to explain planetary orbits and how the calendar works to the kids and they just didn't care even though THEY had asked the question, then you walk through the room, explain it in two concise sentences and now they both suddenly want to become astrophysicists! How do you do that?

JON: I'm interesting.

JON: How do you do that?
ME: What?
JON: Know exactly what the boy is talking or thinking about even on the most random things? He told me a story the other day for a good ten minutes and I still had no idea what he was talking about until two days later when he said three words about it to you and you knew exactly what he meant (and thus explained it back to me)! And you do it all the time! How do you do that?
ME: *shrug* We're just wired the same, I guess.

ME: How do you do that?
JON: What?
ME: Calm the girl and ease her worries? She went on an on yesterday, teary-eyed, about her worries that her cat will die - someday - in the far away future, and I tried my best to comfort her and make her think good thoughts, but she just couldn't stop being sad until you came over, squeezed her shoulders, told her to look into your eyes, and then told her it was all gonna be okay. Sunshine sprouted from her eyes and she smiled! How do you do that?

JON: She's my girl - we're the same, I guess.

JON: How do you do that?
ME: What?
JON: Stay soft and good? You are a cat and kid and me magnet. We all want to snuggle you all the time, and forever! How do you do that?
ME: I wish I knew.

ME: How do you do that?
JON: What?
ME: Amaze me after so much time?
JON: I'm not sure - how do you do it?
ME: Don't know... its a mystery, I guess.
JON: Yeah... I guess so too.

No comments: