Tuesday, September 30, 2008

1950s Housewife - Day Two Begins!

Yesterday went well, but I have to say, I am exhausted this morning!

I think the stress I'm feeling and dreaming about and living is really interesting... I'm waking many times during the night, making "to do" lists for the next day - I'm not wanting to miss anything or do anything wrong. I am dreaming about ruining dinner or scalding a shirt while ironing, and also about missing the kids' after-school activities.

I feel like I got behind yesterday, and I got creative with my solution - hiding the laundry that did not get put away rather than get way behind on dinner. I figured - Out of Sight, Out of Mind - and if Dear Husband did not see the unfinished laundry, he would not be dismayed by the state of the house. It seemed to have worked... I know he saw the unfinished laundry, but it was at the end of the day, just before bed, so he really didn't care.

Dear Husband also enjoyed "coming home" from work to find me in a dress and apron, finishing dinner. He was also pleased when I presented him with a cold beer in a glass. I think he did get a little annerved when he asked how my day was and I turned it back to him, providing him nothing from my day. He also did not know what to do with himself while I put the children to bed (usually his job) so he went outside and watered the yard.

I liked how happy everyone was with my personal attention to each of them. I DO have to say that all the clothes and changing is ridiculous!!! Three outfits each day??? AND make-up and "undergarments"? (I miss my thongs... sorry dad, if you are reading this, but yes, I like thong panties.)

One thing of note: I'm having trouble in the late afternoon with the childrens' extra-curricular activities. I feel almost as if I should have suspended them for these two weeks to be more authentic. 1950s children would normally come home from school, have snack and do homework, and then go play with the neighborhood kids until dinnertime. Caitlin Flanagan wrote an interesting article in Atlantic Monthly in 2003 (http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200309/flanagan) about exactly this contrast between the "Housewife" and the "Stay-at-Home Mom". And having been the latter for nine years now, I can DEFINITELY feel the difference, just after one day of being the former.

Okay - I've spent enough time in front of this future box - I need to shower and dress, and attend to the mending, the pets, finish yesterday's laundry chore, and get to some car maintenance details today. I've already made lasagna for dinner - so I feel I'm beginning the day ahead of the game! (We'll see how long that lasts!)

- Mrs. P

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what do you mean, "get to some of the car maintenance details"?! Why do you have to worry your pretty little head about the car when you have Mr Porter? :-)

-BR

Anonymous said...

I LOVE it. There is another lady doing a blog on living like a 50s housewife for a year but it isnt informative or easy reading. Im very excited to have yours to read now.

starring Nisa as "The Mom" said...

BR - While this is all true, it is my responsibility to do it while I have the free time to. Mr. Porter is much too busy with important business details to handle car repair. I will go to the neighborhood full-service gas station and let them deal with it instead of explain all the complicated details to me - besides, I see it as a great opportunity of spare time while I wait to get some of my mending done!
- Mrs. P