Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The 1950s Experiment

Okay - so I had this idea the other day, when I was feeling slovenly about my role in the household. I just feel like Jon does so much around the house, while my responsibilities largely lie with the scheduling of the children. So how about this - I will live, for two weeks, with the same responsibilities as a 1950s housewife had.
So the details are still being discussed. I've decided there should be a list of benchmarks needing to be achieved. And perhaps a list of daily duties to be checked off. Jon is looking forward to two weeks of me cooking - and I haven't quite figured out yet how I'm going to get the kids to their evening lessons and still serve a hot, fresh meal... but that is a hurdle I'm willing to face.
I'm not the first to try this - the web is littered with thousands of links belonging to women who actually adore this lifestyle and live it with glee. The difference here is that its not me, and it has absolutely no context into the way I currently live, nor the way I was raised. I have no personal connection to this sort of lifestyle whatsoever.
We will see how it goes... I will post each day with comments. The experiment begins Monday, September 29th (I guess because I like coordinating with Rosh Hashanah?) and ends two weeks later, on Sunday, October 12th. Jon doesn't think I can do it for two weeks... but I know I can. What do you think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

waiting to hear how your first day went